The art of storytelling: producing online video like a pro
Date: Tuesday 10 October 2017
Location: Hotel Grand Chancellor, Hobart
Registration fee: $540/$590
Note: Participants must bring their own iPad for filming and editing. iMovie should be downloaded and installed before the masterclass.
Australians now spend more than three hours a day consuming video (Australian Connected Consumer Report 2016, Nielsen). The explosion of digital video has also changed the role of our audiences. Students can access and interact with video like never before and their expectations for great, engaging content are higher than ever.
The challenge for international education providers is to keep up with the demand for quality content that really engages millennials. The time and cost of producing professional video can be prohibitive, particularly on a small budget. At the same time, it has never been easier to produce good-quality video in-house. Thanks to iPad technology – and user-friendly editing programs – we have the tools right at our fingertips.
Come and discover the tricks of the trade from an industry professional. Learn how to identify potential stories and how to deliver them with a short and compelling video.
Key areas of focus will include:
- storytelling – identifying potential stories and finding your narrative
- interviewing – asking the right questions and getting to the heart of your subjects
- production – framing, lighting, sound and editing
- the ‘Chewbacca Mom’ effect – what makes a video go viral?
Mariona Guiu, independent documentary filmmaker; video producer, The University of Melbourne, Australia
Lara McKinley, freelance digital storyteller (formerly working with Oxfam), Australia
Chair to be confirmed shortly.
- Learn the art of producing short, engaging video for online audiences.
- Enhance your understanding of production and storytelling techniques for producing your own video content, or working with external agencies and production companies.
- Revitalise your social media content and engagement with online video.
- Discover techniques for wider distribution and dissemination.
This hands-on, interactive masterclass is aimed at marketing, recruitment and mobility professionals who are looking to produce their own video content for prospective or current international students. It will also be useful for academics and teaching staff who wish to incorporate video into their programs.
Key interest area:
Marketing and communications (M&C)
Other interest area(s):
- Learning and teaching (L&T)
- Mobility (MOB)
This workshop is suitable for professionals in all sectors:
- English language (ELT/ELICOS)
- Higher education/university (HE)
- Schools (SCH)
- Vocational education & training (VET)